This is why I hate higher education!

Friday, April 3, 2009
Every single day for the last two weeks has had something going on. About 95% of it is wedding/marriage related. We finally looked at apartments. The first one is a nice, spacious two bedroom. It really could rival a small house in the area. It's affordable, but not comfortably. Plus we are concerned about the employment situation. Aharon's job at G5 with me is technically a seasonal job. I think if they can avoid laying him off they will, but we don't want to just bank on that happening. The second one is tiny. Like really, really tiny. But it's dirt cheap. However, we won't be able to take all of our furniture with us, and having friends over will be difficult. There's just not enough room. Luckily we can store whatever doesn't fit at his parent's house. But it just feels strange to me to move and not take everything with me.

When Aharon and I sit down and talk about it, the small one definitely makes sense and sounds like the best option. But then as the day or night goes on and I spend time thinking about it, I start to get a little panicked. It's very tiny! I want to be able to have friends over and feel like it's home. I just don't know if that will happen at this place.

I'm going to try to go back to the small place tonight and take some measurements and then get all geeky and do some 3D floor plans. Plus I want my mom to see it. She's lived in a tiny apartment before and then moved into our very large house, so she'll have a better idea of what can be done and what can't. Maybe she'll say there's no way we can make it work. And if so, two bedroom here we come!

Aharon and I agreed last night that we both feel like we're trying to sell the other person on the apartment of our choice. He likes the small one, I like the big one. It's a little entertaining.

So now, back to the education thing. Anybody who really, really knows me will know that learning comes naturally to me. I don't have to work for it or even put forth much effort. Aharon hates this, and I totally understand.

The college I'm at now is hard, or, at least that's what I've been told. It's degree - among Catholics - is considered very prestigious. I'm not sure how it fares in the real world, though. All I know is that it was affordable, in my price range, and they transferred every single credit I had. You can't argue with that.

While some of the classes have been challenging - like the religion class - others aren't a big deal. Sitting down and writing a big paper in 8 weeks when I'm more on a schedule of 16 weeks was an adjustment, but it's of no concern to me now.

Long story short, I don't really do the assigned reading. I skim each chapter, read the summaries and review terms, and I read the professor's lectures through. So I know the material. But I don't feel the need to spend 2 hours reading a book that will just get regurgitated to me through the review terms and lectures.

Anyway, last night I took my final. Open book. I had an hour. I went through and answered what I knew, then spent time looking up the ones I wasn't sure of. I had time left over, so I went back and looked up ones I had answered on my own just to double check. I submitted the exam with 3 minutes remaining.

I got a 65%.

How is that even possible?

And don't tell me that's what I get for not reading. I have never and will never do the assigned reading. And I've gotten through life with a pretty high GPA so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment