A New Political Stance

Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Obama has been president for like 8 days, right? I'm already fed up. I knew I was going to be, but I decided to give him a decent chance. I think it took like 24 hours. So rather than spending every day in a state of annoyance and disgust, I'm attempting to simply become apathetic. I don't think I will actually accomplish that goal, but I do look forward to hearing an Obama-voter complian so I can remind them that they voted for him thus they can't complian. I voted for Bush and I did not complian about his decisions.

So what am I supposed to do? I feel like everything in the world is against me lately. My country is digging itself into a hole, my school is accusing me of being a closed-minded fundamentalist, and although the housing market is dropping, rent is apparently soaring. Six-hundred square feet for $450 a month? I could buy a house for that price. I did find a nice little gem: 820 square feet, 2 bedrooms, $500 a month. The problem? Aharon's unemployed and I don't want to assume he'll find a job before July. This is Michigan, after all.

My dad was a little concerned when I told him that I passed up on contributing to a 401(k) for the year. My reasoning? Everything lost money last year. Not one plan that was presented to me actually made any money or even broke even. Wouldn't my money be better spent keeping me out of debt? Because wouldn't being debt-free and married at 23 put us a little ahead of the game? Yeah, yeah. Retirement. Do I actually expect "retirement" to still be a concept in 50 years? Probably not. Besides, all those target retirement date plans are designed for someone who is 25. Get back to me in two years, people!

I don't even understand why I'm not being permitted to cash in my matured savings bonds from when I was born. The government's interest rate is like almost zero, right? So wouldn't that money be better off in my ING savings account? Last time I checked, 2.4% is much higher than .02%.

So, maybe the super-tiny ghetto apartment for $340 a month will have to do for now. Think of how much we can save up while we wait for my parents to move or my dad's job to get relocated! Why buy a house now that we don't really like when we can buy a house we love in a few years?

Sometimes I wish people would just let me do what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment