A New Year Already?

Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Are we sure that it's really time for a new year? I mean like beyond-all-doubt sure? Because it seems like it was just a few weeks ago when we got a load of snow on New Year's Eve and I had to drive the Jeep over to Aharon's house to get him so we could play Monopoly. And then the next day at work Port Huron got even more snow and I honestly thought I would be snowed in at that horrible place-of-employment forever!

So much has happened this year. Joel graduated high school and went off to MSU with Jerry, leaving me home all alone (which has been kind of nice, actually). I finally was able to quit my job in Port Huron that had caused me ridiculous amounts of stress and start a new job right in town that has been great so far. There were tragic deaths, unexpected pregnancies, legal battles, and nights so fun that you laughed about them the next week, too. Friendships were destroyed in a matter of hours and new ones were created almost effortlessly. We all watched in uncertainty as the economy proved that it answers to no one, and as Americans divided themselves on every possible major issue and the only-slightly-larger majority went on to create a "historic" presidential election that will spend the early part of 2009 trying to convince the other half of America that it wasn't the worst possible decision that could have been made. (I will remain unconvinced, in case you were wondering.)

I'm sure that 2009 will hold many new events for us to experience. I know my life will change in many ways. It will be an awesome and wonderful year filled with once-in-a-lifetime experiences and love and happiness; it will also be a tragic year filled with uncertainty, loss, and doubt.

I have many hopes for the new year. I hope to get married, get closer to actually graduating from college, learn, grown, and serve others. I hope to be an example and a blessing. I hope to get through challenges and doubts by relying on God and not on man. And ultimately, I hope that I'll leave 2009 as a better person in every possible way.

The one concrete certainty for 2009 is that God already knows what's going to happen and how we are going to get through every challenge, obstacle, blessing, or gift.

I just hope I don't let anyone down, because a new year is a fresh start and a chance to erase some past mistakes and try again at being a better person.

1 comment:

patricenicole said...

I liked this entry a lot! I wish you would have posted it on LJ. :)

Post a Comment