Liana

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
I have a niece! (Well, on July 3rd I will have a niece, but I don't freaking care, she's my niece now!)

Sharaya (Aharon's little sister) had her baby! Liana June Marie Roach was born Monday, June 15th at 2:26 p.m. She was 9 pounds, 6 ounces, and 21.5 inches long. (She's exactly one day old!)

Although Sharaya and I did not always have a good relationship, I have been working hard since about February to try and fix that. Yes, I was in her wedding, but I still wouldn't have considered us close at that time. It really wasn't until February when it basically hit me that she was going to have that baby and that she would then be my niece. I was going to have a niece. I did my best to try and make things right with Sharaya. Unfortunately, I can't go back in time to when we met five years ago and be her friend then. Although if I could, things may not be like they are today and I wouldn't want to lose that.

I always knew that I wanted to be as close as possible for the birth, but I never thought Sharaya would want me right there. (I'm not even sure if she knew what she wanted to do until it was time!) I did my best to be available for her over the last few weeks, and on Sunday when she headed to the hospital, I headed up too. She did not end up having the baby that night, and I went home. Maybe I should have stayed, but I didn't. She was set to be induced at 6 a.m. Monday morning, and I arrived in her room at 5:55 a.m. on Monday morning. We were in that room all day. We had hoped for a baby by noon, but she wasn't ready. At 2 p.m., it was time to start pushing.

Sharaya and I had talked a little during the day about me being in the room. I kind of wanted to, but I have a weak stomach for smells (but nothing else) and wasn't sure I'd be of any help. But I'm also good with being rock solid emotionless when necessary. When the nurse needed somebody to hold a leg, Sharaya said I could do it, so I did.

And let me just end with this, when Liana was born, the amazing feeling that followed is truly unforgettable. I've always wondered how parents always say they loved the baby so much more when it was born. I've never understood that. Sure, it's your kid, but it just got here. Let its personality grow on you a little. But nope. You don't have to. It just hits you like that. And I'm not even the parent, just an aunt. I can't imagine what it will feel like when it's my own kid.

Sharaya, thank you for allowing me to experience something so amazing with you, Jeremy, and Liana.

No comments:

Post a Comment